Monday, January 22, 2007
Assignment #3: Graphic Primitives
NMED 2005 – Design Fundamentals for New Media
Instructor: Michael Jorgensen
Deadline: Monday, January 29, 2007
Create a series of compositions exploring contrast and balance. Use only circles, then rectangles, then triangles to produce 3 separate studies. Each page will be divided into 4 frames expressing the following:
• High contrast
• Low contrast
• Symmetrical balance
• Asymmetrical balance
Use as many or as few shapes as you wish. Do not mix shapes. Use only black and white (no greyscale values or colour or gradient fills).
(3) Three 8.5” x 11” black and white prints (cardstock or photo paper), labelled appropriately with your name.
Upload to your blog journal as a jpg or gif.
Evaluation will be based upon the following criteria:• Has the student followed the assignment directions?
• Is there an interesting selection of subject matter?
• Do the compositions reflect an understanding of the principles explored in the class sessions?
• Do the separate compositions relate to one another on the page in a pleasing manner?
• Is the assignment professionally printed and presented?
Click here to download an MS Word document of Assignment #3.
Click here to download an Illustrator template for you to use. Make sure you save one orginal version, then resave it three times - one for circles, rectangles and triangles.